Keep Playing All Winter Long
Uponor’s Turf Conditioning System is a must for teams that want to play outdoors on natural grass fields in climates where the ground is subject to freezing. Turf conditioning not only keeps grass healthy, lush and green all year long, but it also provides players a soft place to land — reducing injury and providing some peace of mind for professional sports teams’ owners.
The system circulates a warm, water-and-glycol solution through loops of Uponor Wirsbo hePEX™ plus tubing buried below the surface. On sunny days, the need for warmth varies, so temperature sensors communicate an average demand back to a series of control valves which respond by modulating the flow of warm water from commercial-grade boilers.
Turf conditioning is ideal for outdoor playing fields or any situation where it's necessary to keep the turf from freezing — even concert stadiums can benefit from turf conditioning.
And the National Football League (NFL) agrees — Uponor’s Turf Conditioning System is so effective, it can be found in six NFL stadiums across the United States.
Safety and Cost Savings
Using an Uponor Turf Conditioning System protects both the grass and the teams who play on it. Protecting the grass can avoid expensive maintenance problems when turf freezes, is damaged or dies due to extreme weather and temperatures. Protecting players from injury saves not only valuable human life, but also helps to avoid those costly medical expenses.
- Protects players with a safe and soft playing surface, even with temperatures well below freezing
- Keeps certain sensitive grass types from going dormant, even in warmer climates
- Eliminates the freeze-thaw cycle so turf fields can be mowed, fertilized and repaired year-round
- Maximizes the game’s visual impact with lush, healthy, green turf all year long
- Eliminates the need for over-seeding with rye grass which doesn’t always look or wear as well as other varieties
- Grass is more resilient and snaps back faster after being trodden by players, marching bands or even thousands of concert-goers
Typical Turf Conditioning Applications
Concert stadiums: Outdoor concert and event stadiums.
Football fields: Uponor's system is currently in use in numerous professional stadiums through out the country.
Soccer fields: The Chicago Fire professional soccer teams home currently uses Uponor's System.
Lacrosse fields: Recreational, high school and professional fields.
Typical Turf Conditioning Installation